Monday, March 25, 2013

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome!

What have I learned in this class?  Improvise, adapt, and overcome! Sometimes things do don’t go the way that we plan for them too.  I started out with a plan that I thought was terrific.  I wanted to help the teachers use the technology that we have in the classroom.  I still think it would  be a valuable research plan, but low test scores and a more student centered learning with technology steered me in another direction.  If we never change and we stay in the same place and do the same things we will never progress. So, we must improvise, adapt, and overcome those issues to see change. 
There are so many times throughout my time as an educator that there is a problem on campus.  Often times we treat it like a scrap on the knee.  We see the problem, temporarily clean it up, and apply a band aid.  A group may get together and meet for an hour to come up with a plan of how to fix the problem, but it tends to only be a temporary solution.  We need to look at a longer “fix”.  We don’t want to just apply a band aid and leave a scar; we want to make sure the scar is gone too.  We need to do some action research within our own setting to see if it is something that is going to work or not. 
I have learned that although clinical research is very valuable and can even be applied to an action research plan, it is typically not the best solution to a problem.  By sitting and taking the data on your own classroom, or school, or district you are getting results that apply directly to your situation.  You do not have compare results from a school in Alaska when you are teaching in Texas.  The climate is different, the curriculum is different, and so are the students. 
I have learned that not only is having a “wondering” about something important, but so is the plan, data collection, analysis of the data, and dissemination of said data.  There are a lot of people that are interested in the research that you are doing.  Mainly at your campus, but possibly elsewhere. 
I never considered myself as a researcher.  When I started this class I thought we would read about different studies that others had done and maybe find one that we could apply to our campus.  Never did I think that I would be doing my own action research project.  I now feel that I can handle my own action research project in my classroom or in my school. 
With that said, I still feel that I need some practice in this area. I believe strongly in my action research plan.  My administrators are using my data to determine if we are going to purchase tablets for the school.  That is a lot of pressure.  I have analyzed my project over and over again. I have solicited the advice from fellow classmates.  I want to make sure that I get it right so we do not miss out on an opportunity for our kids.  I have the general idea, but I need to go out and apply it.    
This course has been an eye opener in what I can do on my own in my classroom and school.  I may do it for the better of my classroom, but others can benefit from it also.

No comments:

Post a Comment